Tuesday, July 22, 2008

One More Time, Athena

CARD IMAGE:

Athena Parthenos in the Parthenon, Nashville, Tennessee

The Parthenon in Nashville, Tennessee, is the world's only full-scale replica of the ancient Greek Parthenon. A gold and ivory statue of Athena Parthenon, goddess of war and wisdom and patron goddess of the city Athens, stood within the original Parthenon for about 500 years after the original building's completion in the 5th century BC. Artist Alan LeQuire's 41'10" re-creation of the Athena Parthenos statue in the Nashville Parthenon was completed in 1990. In 2002 the Nashville statue was gilded and painted to more fully replicate the gold and ivory of the original.

Gary Layda, Photographer

Dear Martha,

You might have not been back to N-ville recently enough to see this. I hadn't, until last month.

Dees

1 comment:

MT said...

Dees - I figured out how to sign in! I didn't know you had created One Day One Postcard. I am happy to have received an Athena card. I do miss the Athens of the South. It will go up on the wall.
MT
PS I have yet to see a card from my home state of WV. You did send one from CT (Mohegan Sun) although you didn't actually visit there.(if you did,you should have called me because we am close by)

Popular Posts